LET’S TALK ABOUT PROTEIN (BROWNIES)
Protein is an essential macro nutrient made up of amino acids that aid proper growth and function of your body. It can be found in many sources such as eggs, meat, seafood and nuts. Some people also take protein supplements to match their recommended daily protein intake. To make ingesting supplements more fun, there are ways in which you can have your cake and eat it too, literally!
Snacks like protein bars and brownies can help to reduce overeating between meals. They also come in many flavours, like chocolate or vanilla, to satisfy your sweet tooth. At the same time, it helps to prevent blood sugar spikes and subsequent crashes. If you take these protein snacks (or protein shake) before a workout, it will help in giving you energy. And post-workout, it’s essential for body recovery and the repair of muscles.
Last Saturday, Sean and I decided to be master chefs and made some protein brownies. It all started a few weeks ago when he wanted to make something healthy for himself to snack on. This post will take you through our attempt at making low carb protein brownies! Which, by the way, was a protein-filled success!
WHAT WE USED TO MAKE THIS YUMMY SNACK
- 85g chocolate whey from Optimum Nutrition
- 92g unsweetened dark chocolate from Hershey’s
- 240g egg whites
- 80g Splenda, low calorie, granulated
- 1 tablespoon Royal baking powder
- 60g reduced calorie butter, 75% fat-free from Elle & Vire
- 120g IGA chocolate-flavoured syrup
- 228g Philadelphia light cream cheese, 80% less fat
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN HEALTHY BROWNIES
- Heat your oven to 176°C (or 350°F).
- Set cream cheese out for 20-30 minutes to soften.
- Take 6 eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
- Chop chocolate bar in tiny bits.
- Mix all the ingredients in large bowl until your batter is nice and smooth.
- Grease your baking pan/tray with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour batter into baking pan/tray.
- Bake at 176°C (or 350°F) for approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
- Slice to serve and enjoy!
THE HEALTH FIGURES YOU’D WANT TO KNOW
Approximate macros per one brownie out of twenty: 59.4kcals, 1.78g carbs, 7.2g protein, 2.5g fat, 0.55g fibre. (Taken from original recipe, link below.)
IT’S YOUR TURN!